December 6, 2014

Help Build Your Child's Multiple Intelligence

 

What type of SMART are you?

 



The theory of Multiple Intelligences developed by Dr. Howard Gardner, a professor of education at Harvard University, suggests that there are eight (8) different intelligences or learning styles:


Children are born with the capacity for all different types of smarts.  However, we focus too much on linguistic and logical-mathematical intelligence and fail to give as much attention on the other intelligences. Children with smarts other than brain smart, receive very little reinforcement at home and in school, in nurturing their true intelligence.  

The challenge to us parents is to provide our children with opportunities to cultivate these gifts.

How do we develop our children’s intelligence?

Your child needs your help to succeed in life, especially in todays competitive and more complex society.  Here are some of the things we can do as parents?

  • Expose your child to new experiences.  Spend time listening to different types of music together, attend theater plays and musicals, visit museums, take nature walks and commune with nature.  The list goes on.
  • Limit computer play and encourage them to do active outdoor sports.
  • Play make believe and explore different worlds: real or not.   
  • Buy toys that foster active thinking and imagination.
 
 
Check out "ExploreSandbox," an innovative activities set that teaches by means of creative play.



My boys busy with their magical bird.
 
 

Creative play using ExploreSandbox.
My boys are so good at this!
 

  • Stay away from junk foods and give them healthy food options. Feed them fruits and vegetables to keep them healthy and strong. Drink vitamins and minerals rich milk. Try high nutrients milk formula, such as Progress Pre-school GOLD.

One of the best gift you can give your children is the gift of harnessing their full potential. 

Start now and read more about how you can help your child SUCCEED

10 comments:

  1. i still believe in the old school way of raising children outdoor play and gameboards should be encouraged..mfor a happier childhood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check out Explore Sandbox for ideas for when my 9-year-old tells me she's bored lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's good, too, that schools/educators now recognize the multiple intelligences of kids. It strives to make children have a more balanced development - both IQ and EQ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree on this. I am careful in choosing toys for my kids because as much as possible, I want to encourage them to think and be independent :) And yes, iPads and other forms of technology should be limited :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I have tons of little nephews and nieces. Will share your post with their parents. Cheers! - edel / vivamanilena.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with exposing them to new experiences for them to learn. I often tag my toddler along so that he gets to go out and experience the world also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen the Explore Sandbox on a post before and I've been interested ever since. It looks like kids will definitely enjoy everything inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my boys were so engaged in all the projects and didn't stop til they finished everything.

      Delete
  8. Helpful post Juvy! :-) Appreciate your tips. I am a firm believer of multiple intelligences. Not only applicable for children, but for us adults too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to have that Sandbox Kit for my dauughter. I'm sure she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know your thoughts!